17000 LA ROCHELLE
Since the 13th century, the port of La Rochelle has occupied this location. It is likely that from the beginning it was fortified. The remaining towers date from the 14th and 15th centuries. They survived the destruction of the enclosure after the siege of 1628. On either side of the entrance are the Saint-Nicolas Tower, the highest, and the Chain Tower, then further on, linked to the latter by a curtain wall or defensive wall, the Lantern Tower, both a lighthouse and a prison.